My main idea was to set my story in the 80's as i was inspired by the story from the Goonies and Stranger Things and wanted to create my own 80's theme story so I knew that I also had to do research on 80's fashion.
I was having trouble where to start for which is why I knew I could rely on Pinterest to help me. That website is glory grail of reference so I began my research there.
I began researching 80's fashion with men and women separately to gain an understanding the sort of stereotypical fashion they each had. I saw how with men, it was more about looking clean and retro with denim jeans and short sleeves shirts whilst with women it was more and colour and wearing Dungarees, skirts, and also again, denim jeans. I kept seeing a lot of denim in 80's fashion which was surprising as i thought it would mainly be about colour colour and more colour but fashion back then is kinda like our own fashion right now, mainly due to denim. I also noticed that a lot of the clothing was unisex in the 80's which was another surprise to me as you'd think back then they would want peoples dressing like their own sex but that wasn't the case which was nice as it allowed me to come up with more ideas on what my characters would wear.
After some more secondary research, I looked at the film called the Breakfast Club as it was set in the 80's and would really help with analysing fashion due to the fact what the characters were all stereotypical and their costumes helped portray that even more as you had the nerd, jock, outcast, pretty girl and rebel. Analysing each character, i noticed how with the nerd, he would dress up very clean and smart wearing black jumper and black shoes, the jock would wear a vest and denim jeans portraying his physique, the outcast would be wearing all black to portray their inner emotions, the pretty face would be wearing boots, earrings to portray their status and the rebel/criminal would be wearing boots as well, with a striped shirt and gloves to portray his anger. It was great use analysing these characters as it really helped a lot with how I would create costumes for my own characters to help portray their personalities.
I also looked out costume design in the Stranger Things however it was kinda tricky finding out what costume they were wearing and how it helped with their characteristics and personality but I tried anyways.
I began researching 80's fashion with men and women separately to gain an understanding the sort of stereotypical fashion they each had. I saw how with men, it was more about looking clean and retro with denim jeans and short sleeves shirts whilst with women it was more and colour and wearing Dungarees, skirts, and also again, denim jeans. I kept seeing a lot of denim in 80's fashion which was surprising as i thought it would mainly be about colour colour and more colour but fashion back then is kinda like our own fashion right now, mainly due to denim. I also noticed that a lot of the clothing was unisex in the 80's which was another surprise to me as you'd think back then they would want peoples dressing like their own sex but that wasn't the case which was nice as it allowed me to come up with more ideas on what my characters would wear.
After some more secondary research, I looked at the film called the Breakfast Club as it was set in the 80's and would really help with analysing fashion due to the fact what the characters were all stereotypical and their costumes helped portray that even more as you had the nerd, jock, outcast, pretty girl and rebel. Analysing each character, i noticed how with the nerd, he would dress up very clean and smart wearing black jumper and black shoes, the jock would wear a vest and denim jeans portraying his physique, the outcast would be wearing all black to portray their inner emotions, the pretty face would be wearing boots, earrings to portray their status and the rebel/criminal would be wearing boots as well, with a striped shirt and gloves to portray his anger. It was great use analysing these characters as it really helped a lot with how I would create costumes for my own characters to help portray their personalities.I also looked out costume design in the Stranger Things however it was kinda tricky finding out what costume they were wearing and how it helped with their characteristics and personality but I tried anyways.