When exploring Adventure, I dwelled on all the sub genres that would link to it like such as Character, exploration, fantasy,fiction, psychological arousal and questing. I became by brainstorming each sub genre, thinking of words and ideas that could go towards my outcomes which was vital as I needed to know how the story was going to be like, how the characters personality were going to be like and how the mood and setting would be like e.g the timeline. This helped a lot with getting all the ideas down instead of it all in my head as i tend to forget a lot.
I began by looking at different graphic novels pages from the book 'Graphic novels: Stories to change your life' that inspired me, looking at their use of colour, composition, layout, art style and more of what I liked about each different work. This was incredibly useful to do as i was stuck on where to start for this project as I knew what artworks I wanted to create roughly but didn't know where to start to help develop these ideas and make it come to life. I got the idea to look at books from the library from one of my tutors which I thank alot as it got my motor running with this project.
I also looked at 'Hilda and the stone forest' which I was truly inspired by as I loved the artstyle, the warm vibrant colours they used and the composition as it all played together, bringing out the best from the comic book. All this research gave me a better understanding when it came to analysing artists work as I was able to see smaller details in their work and analyse all the different features they put into their work, conveying how it inspired me and why I like it.
This is why I knew that with all great comic books, they all start of as an idea which develops into a story and it then brought to life through storytelling in a illustrative way (with text). However I needed to look at stories in order to gain a deeper understanding for which is why, continuing on with my secondary research I looked upon the movie called 'The goonies' and the Netflix show ' Stranger Things'. The link between the two was that they were both based in the 80s.In my mind I already thought of setting like story in the 80s for which I'll get into more detail later however for now I focused on the story and the characters in the show. Analysing the characters, i wrote words that linked with their personalities which was easy for me as i have already watched the two shows/movies. I also wrote their plot down to be able to understand it more clearly.
This all led me to start plotting ideas for my own story so I began by writing any ideas that came to my head and also used primary research by asking others for their own ideas for an adventure story. After all this I then picked the ideas I liked and developed them. I research about creating your own stories and came out 'the seven basic plots' which spoke about the meta plot , overcoming the monster , rags of riches, the quest, voyage and return, comedy and tragedy. Although this was all useful my main focus was with meta plot, basically the anticipation stage. I knew that if I was to create a comic I wouldn't be able to create the whole story as it takes a lot of time to do so however I knew that if I created one issue, focusing on the beginning of the story and the setup then it would be great. I continued on by choosing my final idea which was about a group of friends who enter a mysterious shop and must deliver back an item to someone before it gets into the wrong hands.
This week of research was very vital as I wanted to get my story plot done with so that I would know what to do when creating the characters for my story.